Slim-Fast Chocolate and PB Smoothie

Monday, December 16, 2013


Having diabetes, or the 'betes as I like to call it, totally sucks. I'm not going to sugarcoat it for you. It just does. At the same time, however, I consider myself very lucky because it's absolutely possible to lead a normal, healthy lifestyle with this disease. It just takes a little bit of sacrifice and some very meticulous counting.

Every diabetic is different but for me, personally, routine is key. I eat pretty much the exact same thing every single day, with a few small variations. It sounds boring, but it makes life a whole lot easier because I have a good idea of what my blood sugar is going to do at all times.

I wanted to share one of my go-to smoothie recipes that I make almost everyday for lunch. I love smoothies. I have a whole Pinterest board devoted to them. I try to avoid ones with juices because they spike my blood sugar, so I lean towards the creamier ones. 

Here's how I make my Slim-Fast and PB Smoothie...

Fill a blender with:

1 cup ice
1 cup non-fat milk
1 scoop chocolate Slim-Fast powder
1/2 banana
1 Tbs peanut butter

So, if you're counting carbs here you can see it's a little on the high side; about 50. I'm sure some of you are thinking damn, I wouldn't even drink that without the 'betes. It works for me because I can take in the most carbs between 12pm and 7pm so this smoothie fills me up, provides some necessary fruit and protein and is overall a really healthy meal. You can always cut out the banana to save some carbs, too. Or add some frozen strawberries and nix the pb. It's up to you. Just don't go adding a jar of Nutella and defeating the whole purpose here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground